Benefits of walking for 30 minutes per day are numerous. It is a great way to lose weight, lose excess body fat or maintain your weight. In addition, a brisk walk daily helps you to improve your overall health and eliminate risks for a number of diseases including cardiovascular diseases, type2 diabetes and some cancers.
Although you do not have to strain yourself when walking, your walk needs to be brisk. Strolling is not going to give you the benefits that a faster paced walk will.
Walking does not require any equipment (except a good pair of running shoes). It can be done any time and it does not pose any of the risks associated with a more vigorous exercise. This is an excellent for people who are overweight, people who have not exercised for a long time, the elderly and women who recently had a baby.
Benefits Of Walking For 30 Minutes Per Day
There are many benefits of walking. 25 of them are listed below.
1. Saves you on gym costs, is free for everyone
2. Does not require special equipment
3. The easiest ways to get more active
4. Reduces body fat
5. Helps you lose weight
6. Helps maintain body weight
7. Lowers the risk of obesity
8. Improves your balance and coordination
9. Helps maintain lean muscle tissue
10. Increases muscle strength and endurance
11. Lifts your mood
12. Enhances mental well being
13. Reduces stroke risk
14. Reduces the risk of coronary heart disease
15. Improves blood pressure and blood sugar levels
16. Improves blood lipid profile
17. May help you get off medication
18. Can help reduce fibromyalgia pain
19. It helps you beat breast cancer
20. Reduces the risk of osteoporosis
21. Reduces the risk of breast
22. Reduces the risk of type2 diabetes
23. Reduces the risk colon cancer
24. Improves management of joint and muscular pain
25. Increases pulmonary (lung) fitness
To get the maximum health benefits from walking, it is recommended that you walk briskly for 30 minutes every day of the week. In other words, to walk briskly means that you can still talk but cannot sing. Also you may be puffing a bit if you are not used to activities.
Proper Walking Technique
If you have not done any physical activity for a long time, start slowly. 10 minutes per day would be a good start. Gradually add extra minutes to your walk. Although a brisk walk will not pose a health risk you should check with your doctor especially if you have any medical condition.